Sunny Side of the Doc is launching its 2023 Call for Projects !
Looking for partners and financing for your next documentary? Submit your project to sunny side of the doc’s pitching sessions and join one of the most impactful markets for documentary and digital storytelling (La Rochelle, France, June 19-22, 2023).
With 300+ top-level international decision-makers in attendance, representing leading broadcasters, streamers, foundations, sales agents and other funders looking for impactful stories, pitching at sunny side is a unique opportunity to reach your future partners.
- Opening date for submissions: Thursday, March 16th
- Closing date for submissions: Thursday, April 6th, 11pm GMT
What we are looking for
Sunny Side of the Doc 2023 will offer 7 pitching sessions, including our 5 specialist factual categories.
- Specialist Factual
○ Science: we welcome all types of science projects, from blue-chip and hard science to popular science
○ Arts and Culture
○ Nature & Conservation: natural history, environment, climate related stories
○ Global Issues: current affairs, investigation, social issues, human interest
- Focus of the Year
Sunny Side 2023 will focus on viewers. Who watches what, where and why? Documentary is currently enjoying a Golden Age. Streamers have certainly impacted the documentary space, by boosting the exposure and popularity of the genre and pushing for new forms of storytelling. At the same time, with a profusion of content and entertainment options, the audience is ever more fragmented. What does it take to address and reach an audience, particularly a younger and more diverse audience? We wish to provide the industry with two key elements in order to adapt to a rapidly changing environment: including new talents who can bring their own fresh perspective and engaging audiences beyond the screen life of documentaries. To that effect, Sunny Side of the Doc will hold two specific pitching sessions this year:
○ New Voices: we are looking for first and second time filmmakers/content creators holding projects with international potential. We welcome emerging filmmakers, new issues inspiring stories and hidden gems, etc.
○ Impact campaigns: documentary is a powerful tool for change. Is the topic of your film highly social, political, environmental or does it offer a new vision that you want to share in order to raise awareness and trigger social change? This new pitching session is looking for such kind of activism.