Europe's got talent
Turning diversity into talent
In order to achieve this, Sunny Side of the Doc has joined forces with key European partners active in the sector, to help identify these new voices in emerging European markets: Al Jazeera Balkans, East Doc Platform, HBO Europe, Pitch The Doc, Film Center Serbia, Baltic Sea Docs, Balkan Documentary Center, Croatian Audiovisual Fund, Film Centre of Montenegro, DocuDays UA, Estonian Film Institute, National Film Centre of Latvia, Slovak Film Institute, Lithuanian Film Center, MADOKE, Audiovisual Producers’ Association, KFF Sales & Promotion, Georgian National Film Center, DokuBaku.
A stronger European Commitment
Through a number of targeted initiatives, emerging producers from Europe have been highlighted, supported and rewarded at the international marketplace in 2022.
Among these initiatives we can mention:
- The partnership with Pitch the Doc to set up a showcase of all submitted projects in the New Voices category on their platform;
- A dedicated Ukrainian Talent Hub highlighting 6 documentary projects in front of key international Decision makers;
- The first Ex Oriente Film session hosted by Sunny Side of the Doc in partnership with Institute of Documentary Film (Czech Republic), to promote, help and bring expertise to 12 documentary projects coming from the CEE region;
- Matchmaking East Doc Series: Producers from Central and Eastern Europe could meet international producers during one-to-one meetings at #SSD22.
- Producers from Italy and Spain (European countries in focus this year) could benefit from matchmaking sessions at #SSD22
- The third PiXii Co-creation workshop (European Incubator) followed by a pitching session at Sunny Side of the Doc. In partnership with Creatis Brussels and 2K Films.
Supporting low production capacity countries
Sunny Side of the Doc 2022 highlighted talents from Central and Eastern Europe through a number of initiatives.
To facilitate easier access to our documentary market, we are delighted to offer preferential registration rates to participants from the following Low Production Capacity Countries, as defined by Europe Creative.
Albanie, Bosnie-Herzégovine, Bulgarie, Croatie, Chypre, République tchèque, Estonie, Grèce, Hongrie, Islande, Lettonie, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Macédoine, Malte, Monténégro, Pologne, Portugal, Roumanie, Serbie, Slovaquie, Slovénie.
Passes (Full Pass & Online Pass) were available from 90€
2021 Award Winners
BEST WORK IN PROGRESS: CENTRAL & EASTERN EUROPE
Produced by: Playtime Films (Belgium)
Directed by: Anna Savchenko
An award sponsored by Al Jazeera Balkans Documentary Film Festival
Prize: 2,000 euros in cash
BEST TALENT HUB CENTRAL & EASTERN EUROPE
CINEMA UNDER SIEGE
Produced by: Novi Film (Serbia, Bosnia-Herzegovia)
Directed by: Srđan Šarenac
An award sponsored by Institute of Documentary Film
Prize: 2,000 euros in cash
"Cinema under siege: from the strong title to the trailer, to the presentation, to the importance, to the strong archive, animation and stories from the protagonist, convinced us that this will turn out to be a film that tells the history of a war from an unique angle; that should not be forgotten and has to be remembered today."