Company profile:The MEDIA Sub-programme of Creative Europe is designed to support European film and other audiovisual industries. It provides funding for the development, promotion and distribution of European works within Europe and beyond.
In 2016, the MEDIA programme celebrated 25 years of supporting European films. It has brought audiovisual creations across borders and helped in giving recognition to the best since 1991.
What is the MEDIA Programme?
Culture and MEDIA are the two sub-programmes of The Creative Europe programme. In addition, the programme also has a cross-sectoral strand.
The MEDIA sub-programme aims at supporting the audiovisual and multimedia sector. It offers:
• Initiatives to promote the distribution of works and the access to markets
• Initiatives for the development of projects or a set of projects (slate funding)
• Support for the production of television programmes or video games
• Activities to increase interest in and improve access to audiovisual works
• Activities to promote European films, such as cinema networks or film festivals
• Initiatives to bring European films closer to citizens, by going local.
• Measures that facilitate international co-production and strengthen the circulation and distribution of works
• Activities to build skills and capacities of audiovisual sector professionals
The digital revolution has reshaped the audiovisual sector. Therefore new issues such as the protection of intellectual property, securing access to finance in a rapidly changing sector and ensuring the proper distribution of works have arisen as key challenges.
The objective for Creative Europe is to focus on initiatives that can have a real impact on the sector across Europe, either by supporting individual works, initiatives that promote new skills in the sector or initiatives in favour of international cooperation in the sector.